UHB Libraries provides access to thousands of clinical and exam books as well as fiction and well-being titles and DVDs available in our Staff Wellbeing Zones. You can also find a small collection of print journals including copies of the New England Journal of Medicine.
As well as books and journals, the library also provides Education Board Games for loan. These are created by FOCUS GAMES in partnership with organisations like the NHS and Birmingham City University and are a fun and informative way of teaching staff and students about a variety of subjects. Titles currently available include The Communications Game, The Burns Games, The Hydration Game, The Nutrition Game and The Sepsis Game.
To find out what we have in our collections, you can use the catalogue on the homepage of the BASE website. You can also make book suggestions through the form on your BASE account or by contacting your site library.
The library has a range of eResources selected to support you with your study, work and research. To access our online resources please ensure you register for a free Athens account which allows you to access our resources from within the Trust, from home and on the go 24/7.
Some of our key eResources include:
- ClinicalKey – a clinical search engine that supports clinical decisions by making it easier to find and apply relevant knowledge. It includes clinical videos, topic pages on more than 1,400 disease conditions as well as access to images and the latest editions of many key Elsevier eBooks and journals.
- AnatomyTV – Interactive 3D images, models and animations of the human body.
- DynaMed – an evidence-based, point of care tool which guides the user through the clinical workflow. DynaMed also includes thousands of images and users can register for important updates on various illnesses and diseases.
- BMJ Best Practice – takes you quickly and accurately to the latest evidence based information, whenever and wherever you need it. Whether you’re on the ward, at home, or studying, BMJ Best Practice gives you trusted support to help you gather the information required to support clinical decision making. Information on BMJ is linked to NICE and other guideline producers and the site is easy to navigate with a layout that is broken down into manageable sections including: prevention, diagnosis and treatment. You can also download the BMJ Best Practice app for your phone which can be used offline and earn CPD points.
- BMJ Case Reports – collection of case reports covering common and rare conditions. If you are interested in submitting a case report for publication here, please contact your site library for the fellowship code.
- Online journal collection – the library subscribes to an array of journal titles with the vast majority of the collection now available online. Select ‘Journals A-Z search’ on Athens to find titles we subscribe to and ‘HDAS’ for literature searching of ten databases including MEDLINE, EMBASE and CINAHL Complete.
Our other online resources include:
- Medical Masterclass – the most comprehensive resource to prepare you for the MRCP(UK) exam. It is a revision package from the Royal College of Physicians (RCP) designed to help doctors worldwide prepare for all three parts of the MRCP(UK) examination. To register, please contact your site library who will set you up with an account accessible for three months (speak to staff if you need to renew).
- KnowledgeShare (Current Awareness) – What to stay up-to-date with the latest news and evidence in your field? KnowledgeShare will send your current awareness bulletins every two weeks with the latest articles, guidelines, reports and policies related to your area(s) of interest. Register here.
- Repository – a collection of records of articles written by UHB staff. The site is updated weekly and full-text articles can be assessed her where permitted by copyright. You can find the site here.